Skip to d a s f a q related links
CAPTIONS, AUDIO DESCRIPTIONS AND TRANSCRIPTS
What are the rules regarding captions, audio descriptions and transcripts? According to the U.S. Access Board, these requirements for captions and audio descriptions include live video.
413 Closed Caption Processing Technologies
- 1 General. Where ICT displays or processes video with synchronized audio, ICT shall provide closed caption processing technology that conforms to 413.1.1 or 413.1.2.
- 1.1 Decoding and Display of Closed Captions. Players and displays shall decode closed caption data and support display of captions.
- 1.2 Pass-Through of Closed Caption Data. Cabling and ancillary equipment shall pass through caption data.
415 User Controls for Captions and Audio Descriptions
- 1 General. Where ICT displays video with synchronized audio, ICT shall provide user controls for closed captions and audio descriptions conforming to 415.1.
- EXCEPTION: Devices for personal use shall not be required to conform to 415.1 provided that captions and audio descriptions can be enabled through system-wide platform settings.
- 1.1 Caption Controls. Where ICT provides operable parts for volume control, ICT shall also provide operable parts for caption selection.
- 1.2 Audio Description Controls. Where ICT provides operable parts for program selection, ICT shall also provide operable parts for the selection of audio description.
- State Web Accessibility AB 434
- Section 508: Create Accessible Video, Audio and Social Media
- U.S. Access Board Revised Section 508 Standards