To be certified, please take documentation of disability, as well as a photo ID, to your local DOR office. It is recommended that you contact your local office ahead of your visit to arrange same.
IMPORTANT: Before you visit DOR to be certified, make sure you create a CalCareers account , making sure to add your SSN in the Contact Information.
CalCareers is the online job search platform administered by the California Human Resources Department (CalHR) where you will conduct your job search. If you do not have a CalCareers account when you visit DOR, your LEAP certification may be delayed.
A DOR counselor will review your documentation and certify you by adding your information into CalHR's database. Your LEAP status will be associated with your CalCareers account.
Since LEAP is a program for people with disabilities, those wishing to use it must meet the disability criteria set out in the California Fair Housing and Employment Act (FEHA), i.e. you must:
- Have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that limits one or more major life activities; OR
- Have a record or history of such impairment or medical condition; OR
- Be regarded as having such an impairment or medical condition
Verification of disability sufficient to determine that the LEAP eligibility criteria have been met can include any of the following:
- Medical records;
- Letter of diagnosis on a medical doctor's letterhead;
- Education records that document a learning disability;
- A recent letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) that notes the award or continuation of SSI (Supplemental Security Income) benefits or SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) benefits based on your medical condition; OR
Exams (Self Evaluations) and job application processLEAP@calhr.ca.gov